Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Voice of Reason?

"We may insist as much as we like that the human intellect is weak in comparison with human instincts, and be right in doing so. But nevertheless there is something peculiar about this weakness. The voice of the intellect is a soft one, but it does not rest until it has gained a hearing. Ultimately, after endlessly repeated rebuffs, it succeeds. This is one of the few points in which one may be optimistic about the future of mankind."
-- Sigmund Freud

I have been reading an excellent book, Humanity, A Moral History of the Twentieth Century, by Jonathan Glover, in which I found the above quotation. One hopes Freud was correct in this time when we are nearly deafened by the voices of unreason, intolerance, superstition, and religious fundamentalism of every description coming from all sides.

More poetry soon.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I try very hard to be optomistic about the future of mankind.

Tolerance, communications, love, empathy, they are things you would think people are born with and keep close. We are so easily seperated from something that is in us and I don't understand how that can be. I make it my mission to stay connected to my tolerance and empathy and I long for a world where having a naked soul is more valuable than having an effictive and damaging weapon of choice.

1:27 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Thank you for your eloquent reflections, Heather. I couldn't agree more.

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home