Friday, April 25, 2008

Don't Love Your Life Too Much

Continuing our National Poetry Monthly selections, an excerpt from Mary Oliver, one of our finest poets and one of the few who can actually sell out a reading:

For years and years I struggled
just to love my life. And then

the butterfly
rose, weightless in the wind.
"Don't love your life
too much," it said,

and vanished
into the world.

from "One or Two Things"

And something new from me:

Lightning in a Bottle

Dozens of interlaced
nerves branch out
like ant pathways
in all directions
crackling like a hundred
tiny electrical fires if
I could find the switch
I could sleep.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Jim H. said...

Love those last two lines.

Picky comment alert: Can things (plants or nerves) branch into stalks? I always think of the stalk as the main line off of which smaller lines branch.

I feel a little guilty making such a comment because I don't have alternative wording to suggest.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Actually that's a good question. I need to think about that. thanks for the feedback!

1:59 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

After further reflection, see slight edit. Thanks Jim!

2:07 PM  
Blogger Jim H. said...

OK! I especially like the way the title and the last two lines reinforce each other.

4:29 PM  
Blogger Jim H. said...

I especially like how the title and the last two lines reinforce each other.

Nice...

9:45 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Thanks Jim!

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home