Tuesday, April 01, 2008

NPM & NaPoWriMo

It's April and that means both National Poetry Month and NaPoWriMo (National Poetry Writing Month), during which many poets will try to write a poem a day for the duration of the month. While I don't expect to have the time or energy to write a poem every day, I do intend consciously to make time and space for regular writing. To get the month started, here's my most recent poem.

Hands
(for B)

Dark stones shine
at your throat
and your eyes
are dark and shine
like your black hair
that cascades down
the sides of your pale face.
I should be listening
to what others are saying
but my eyes dart back
to you. I wonder
what you are thinking
as I turn away again.
I try to think about
what I will say when
it’s my turn but my eyes
are caught again and
again by your slender
nervous hands.

Thanks as always to Naomi for her keen eye and ear in helping me revise. I'll be posting poems throughout the month, so look back in when you can.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jim H. said...

Nicley done, as usual. This reader caught the feelings of awe and nervousness and yearning so subtley expressed in your tight descriptions.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Thanks Jim! Always great to have your feedback.

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home