Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Great Figure

We'll close National Poetry Month with William Carlos Williams, one of America's greatest and most important poets. He influenced many poets across a wide and diverse range, from Robert Lowell, to Robert Creeley to Allen Ginsberg. My own work owes a great debt to his.

The Great Figure

Among the rain
and lights
I saw the figure 5
in gold
on a red
firetruck
moving
tense
unheeded
to gong clangs
siren howls
and wheels rumbling
through the dark city.

April may be over, but keep poetry part of your life every day!

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Kat said...

When I was young and first read The Red Wheelbarrow, I thought it amazing. I couldn't believe poetry could really be written in so few words. From school I only knew poets the likes of Longfellow and Whittier, neither noted for brevity.

That first poem, which I'm not sure I ever really understood, led me to his others, and I am thankful.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Thank you Kat! I find him endlessly inspiring as well as a true pleasure to read, like taking gulps of some refreshing drink.

1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home