Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Great Figure

We'll close National Poetry Month with William Carlos Williams, one of America's greatest and most important poets. He influenced many poets across a wide and diverse range, from Robert Lowell, to Robert Creeley to Allen Ginsberg. My own work owes a great debt to his.

The Great Figure

Among the rain
and lights
I saw the figure 5
in gold
on a red
to gong clangs
siren howls
and wheels rumbling
through the dark city.

April may be over, but keep poetry part of your life every day!

Labels: , , ,


Blogger Kat said...

When I was young and first read The Red Wheelbarrow, I thought it amazing. I couldn't believe poetry could really be written in so few words. From school I only knew poets the likes of Longfellow and Whittier, neither noted for brevity.

That first poem, which I'm not sure I ever really understood, led me to his others, and I am thankful.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Thank you Kat! I find him endlessly inspiring as well as a true pleasure to read, like taking gulps of some refreshing drink.

1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home