Thursday, January 22, 2009

Yes, I was there!


I hope to be able to share some reflections on my experience attending the Inauguration, but I'm still collecting my thoughts, not to mention trying to re-establish what passes for my normal life. In the meantime, here's an old poem I stumbled on while gathering some others for submitting to various journals. I had completely forgotten about it and had never shown it to anyone. I made some revisions and then submitted it to Naomi's keen eye. The final result:

To the Woman on the Bus

I thought I’d seen
you here before when
you sat down across
from me you caught
my eyes and smiled
before looking
away you seemed
as distant as I felt yet
when our eyes met
again you smiled
again you twice softly
blessed the sneezing woman
sitting beside me.
I got off before you
and haven’t seen you since.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a very similar experience, but it involved a young man on the subway in the 80's in NYC. Great poem. I love your style. Please come help us name the garage gargoyle in my latest ~ Chlorista

2:05 PM  
Blogger fitzgerald said...

I like your poem. And I hope to read your reflections on the Inauguration. I enjoyed Elizabeth Alexander's Inaugural poem. What did you think?

2:57 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Thanks to you both!

Chlorista: I'm on the way!

Fitz: I liked the way she read and I thought it had some excellent images.

11:11 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Wow. That's beautiful.

I also really love your pic of the jumbo tron. It feels like an historic moment, captured for posterity. Thank you!

8:46 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Thank YOU, Reya!

10:19 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

I'd be delighted. My friend lives on 12th. No dog, but an adorable little girl named Analia. Oh yes, my friend is Lisa. familiar?

9:57 AM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Will you send me an email so we can figure out a convenient time to meet?

Also will you delete my comment with my email address? Thanks.

Looking forward to it.

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home