Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Vacation Reflections


I've been back from Chincoteague for two weeks, but part of me is always there. My son Alex took this photo of an immature White ibis. I had never seen this species at Chincoteague before; they are usually not found above North Carolina. We saw a total of about six in our time there, all immatures. We also spotted an unusual number of Black-necked stilts, also normally found from North Carolina south. Evidence of global warming or just an unusual summer in the mid-Atlantic?

In any case, I wanted to share this image and also one I took of a stretch of beach that was then closed to protect nesting Piping plovers. The birds in the top photo are Sanderlings, the classic wave-dodging sandpipers of coastal areas nearly everywhere. When I feel overwhelmed with work, I pause to look at this as a reminder of peace and natural beauty. Feel free to borrow it for the same purpose.

4 Comments:

Blogger countrygrrl said...

love pics enchilada..i had to get rid of a seagulls nest on our roof..i wondered why there were all those chicken bones in the garden...anyway the roof was a real mess and had to be done....hope they find a new home..this is happening more here because bins are now covered so no more easy pickings and the birds have to travel further inland to get food...hi from a busy edinburgh festival...d

6:47 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Great pics Greg! You are right about the calming effect they have. Two weeks on the Eastern Shore, especialy Chincoteague! How did you ever drag yourself back?

10:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting. I also saw my first White Ibis, an immature no less, at Chincoteague in October 2003.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Thanks to all for the kind comments. To clear up a couple of misunderstandings: I wasn't there for two weeks (sadly only a few days), I had been back home two weeks. And the ibisies at Chinco were my first THERE, not first ever -- I've seen them in N. Carolina in white dress.

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home