Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Unexpected

I've completed a couple of new poems recently, but haven't had a chance before now to post them. Here's one:

Unexpected Joy

The way it wells up
suddenly unsought:
The other night I read
a poem about a snipe
wading in a pond and
tonight I was thinking
about it while brushing
my teeth and on the way
to bed I remembered
that just last spring
I saw only my second
snipe in twenty-two
years of birding
and I stopped dead
in the middle of
the room shivering
with joy at the
memory.

November 20, 2007

2 Comments:

Blogger Jim H. said...

Greg:

Very nice. Made me smile!

I'd be interested in your reaction to an essay by Bert States called "Skill Display in Birding Groups." It was published in 2005 in The North American Review and made it into the compilation "Best American Essays of 2005."

9:25 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Thanks Jim! I'll see if I can find that book & read the essay.

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home