Thursday, February 07, 2008

A God Who Soars


Photo by Rich Reid from nationalgeographic.com

I've been writing quite a bit lately and some poems have emerged. Here's one, originally drafted in December, that has already passed the "Naomi test":

Hawk

“…a Red-tailed hawk may become a living metaphor
for the divine.” – Sam Keen,
Sightings

The god who circles,
soars, and rises
The god who plunges,
plummets, and kills
The god who rends flesh,
bone, and feathers
The god who holds you
breathless, still, eyes fixed
long after he has flown

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Jim H. said...

Very nice, especially the after-image.

My office overlooks the courthouse square in the little town where I work. One spring day, I looked up just in time to see a red-tailed hawk swoop in and snare a crow or starling from a low branch. I watched as the hawk dined on the lawn. He was huge and he was intense. All business.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Thanks, Jim! And what a great sighting...I didn't think they'd eat either a crow or a starling, but it goes to show what hunger & opportunity will do....

10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Greg,

You’re it! I’ve tagged you for a six-word memoir. Check out the instructions at http://bernadettegeyer.blogspot.com/2008/02/tagged-my-6-word-memoir.html

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home