Friday, November 03, 2006

Jazz & Poetry for Friday

Monk!


Sphere
(for Reuben Jackson)

Misterioso? Yes,
like a gray cat
at night jumping
into and out of
a sliver of light
on the sidewalk.
Misterioso, yes, the way
big raindrops hit
a metal roof, pool
and slide down
in spatters and
rivulets.
The way hot oil
jumps and pops
its rhythms
in the skillet.
Yes, misterioso
like a walk in the night
through New York,
New Orleans,
Paris, or your city or
mine when the sounds
and smells and flavors
flow and dance around
you and the feeling is, yes,
misterioso.

I wrote this poem back in the '90s in response to a Monk-themed poem by the very fine D.C. poet Reuben Jackson. I decided to post it after a visit to YouTube where I savored several classic Monk performances. Enjoy some music and poetry this (and every) weekend!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"jumps and pops
its rhythms
in the skillet."

I *LOVE* THAT PART!!!

11:11 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Thanks heather. That comes from my Southern (Texas) upbringing....

9:07 AM  
Blogger countrygrrl said...

love your rhymes every time!! have you heard of our great poet here in bonnie scotland?? he is reckoned to be the worst poet in the world but i like his style. here is a link to check the lad out william mcgonagall is the name and poetry ain't the game...http://www.mcgonagall-online.org.uk/ hope all is well and i have been very remiss at not keeping in touch..all that sun sand sea and sangria kept me away from clacking on the keys but now i am back and ready for a blogfest over the coming months!!

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*sigh* It's things like the Monk performances that make me sad about the impending demise of YouTube, or at least Youtube-as-we-know-it. . .

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know Greg, for a modern poet (and I think most modern poetry is crap and most modern poets very bad, not to mention lazy and self-involved)you're not half-bad.

Your use of language is good, very good.

I'd suggest you experiment with a lot of different forms, but I think you're not bad at all.

I also think I'll link your blog to my list of interesting blogs.

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home