Tuesday, December 04, 2007

In the Dark

I have posted several times about the great American poet Charles Wright. The snipe referred to in my previous poem "Unexpected Joy" appeared in his book-length poem Littlefoot. Here's is my newest poem, a direct response & tribute to Mr. Wright. The epigraph is also from Littlefoot.

See in the Dark

“When what you write about is what you see,
what do you write about when it’s dark?”
—Charles Wright


Faces of lost loves
and my sons when
they were small,
images from my own
long gone childhood,
something I saw on
the bus this morning,
and anyway even
with the light off
it’s never completely dark:
I can see the numbers on
a digital clock and streetlight
filtered by the blinds and
ambient light from
who knows where.

November 20, 2007

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Jim H. said...

I like the transition from the dreamy memories to the reality of digital numbers and ambient light.

Some years ago, we took the kids to an old iron mine deep under northern Minnesota. The tour guide said we'd experience the darkest dark ever when she turned off the lights for a half-minute or so. She was right. Then somebody held up a lit watchface, which was startlingly bright in that absolute darkness, and everybody had a good laugh.

Nice work on the poem.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Thanks Jim! I've got a comment or two for your latest if I can just find the time....

3:10 PM  
Blogger countrygrrl said...

excellent as always....keep up the word flow!!!! from bonnie scotland where the winter is a comin soon!!!

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home