Monday, June 09, 2008

Grit & Glitter

My younger son underwent minor surgery last week at Children's Hospital here in DC. While I was waiting for him to wake up so we could take him home, I found myself pondering the mystery of human suffering, especially children's. I have no answer (I'm not even sure of the question), but this poem came to me and, as always, Naomi helped me put it into proper shape.

The Half-Life of Human Suffering

Residual like the grit
left in a dry stream bed: rough
but it glitters in the moonlight.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger John B. said...

I hope the surgery went well.

8:22 PM  
Blogger fitzgerald said...

I like your choice of a title. There are many posibilities there I think.

And the sparse minimal nature of the poem works for me also.

Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

5:21 PM  
Blogger fitzgerald said...

I like your choice for a title, I think there are many posibilities there.

And the sparse minimal nature of the poem speakes volumes.

Good stuff.

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home